Azaren 13-18th March, 2018
I am so happy to announce a wonderful Yoga, Cycling and Hiking(!) retreat in Morocco. Azaren (just outside of Marrakech), as you may know, is one of my favourite locations to practice Yoga; amazing food, gorgeous private residence, soaking up the Moroccan sun all perfectly woven into the backdrop of the Atlas Mountains. I am excited to be back there with a small group this spring and, for this trip, I wanted to add something a bit different. Cycling and Hiking!
Now maybe you are not necessarily training for the Tour de France and perhaps cycling isn’t your thing, but I have a hunch it might be appealing to someone you are close to. My husband, in another life, worked in Morocco as a bicycle guide and fell in love with the country just as I have. We thought (yes, he’s coming on this one too) this would be a great opportunity to see if we could put together a trip, not necessarily just for spouses of Yogis, but for people that want to stretch the legs with peddle power and hiking as well as a bit of asana. Be it your spouse, your friend, your next door neighbour, whoever you know that might dabble in yoga and spend a bit of time in the saddle or on the trail as well, this retreat is for him or her and you!
Yoga and Meditation twice a day, massage & hammam treatments available, sun & pool, hikes & cycling, good food and all of this resting in the most heavenly place. Pure bliss!
Yoga will be twice a day as normal with two-hour sessions in the morning and afternoon. Cycling will be in the morning and can vary from 25 miles of gentle cycling around the valley floor or for those keen there are routes around the base of Mt. Toubkal which offer breathtaking (literally) rides in the Atlas mountains. We will bespoke the cycling to all abilities as there are plenty of small roads with little to no traffic all over Morocco.
Azaren is located 30 kms south of Marrakesh in the beautiful Ourika valley. It’s airport benefits from excellent connections both with low cost and regular airlines. It is a luxurious private residence that is all ours for the five days of the retreat. Spring in Morocco is warm in the day-time and cool at night. It is the perfect time to be outside cycling or practicing Yoga. Cycling is as challenging or as easy as you wish and if you are not a cyclist but your friend/partner is we have priced the trip accordingly. Every effort will be expended to keep you comfortable and safe whilst out riding or practicing Yoga. Prepare to sleep well and rejuvenate, tapping in to the serenity and elation that comes with moving your body and being in good company.
Yoga- what to expect
- Two sessions daily morning and afternoon in an indoor/outdoor purpose built yoga studio or by the pool
- Yoga, meditation and theory lectures, all props and mats provided
- Cyclists can participate in daily Yoga as each day’s ride will end before the afternoon yoga session. Great way to stretch tired muscles
Hiking-what to expect
- Breathtaking views across the Ourika Valley. Hiking on a trail through the foothills of the snow capped peaks of the High Atlas Mountains
- A 3-4 hour max hike with a gradual ascent to a Berber village
- lunch hosted by a Berber family and a discussion about Berber culture and history
Cycling- what to expect
- Well maintained road bikes with all the accessories (we’re not talking’ Cervelo P5X’s here, but they will get you down the road)
- Daily routes designed for group abilities. Average rides will be anywhere from 25km-75km depending on level of group. Rides will start in the morning and can end in time to meet the group for lunch back at Azaren or continue for more riding and lunch on our own off-site.
- More challenging options for those avid cyclists keen on conquering the Atlas (100+km loops with routes of 1600m+ vertical gain)
- Bicyclists should be of recreational to avid cycler ability. Beginners might want to stick to Yoga and Hiking on this holiday.
- E-cycles are available if hills aren’t your thing.
- Full van support with food, water, directions, encouragement.
- Full bicycle mechanical support if needed (you won’t have to change a tyre should it go flat!)
There is ample space for the bedrooms to be made for two separate single beds if not sharing a bed. Each Suite and Villa have generous ensuite bathrooms.
Rooms with the option to turn Double Bed into Single Beds:
£2400 Single Accommodation Yoga/Hiking/Biking
£2000 Single Accommodation Yoga/Hiking Only
£1900 Sharing Accommodation Yoga/Hiking/Biking
£1500 Sharing Accommodation Yoga/Hiking Only
Price Includes :
- Luxury Accommodation 6 days 5 nights
- 3 meals a day (vegetarian and non-vegetarian options available)
- all alcoholic beverages included
- picnic in an organic garden with cultural immersion discussion with local guide
- apero each night before dinner on the roof terrace, by the pool or cozied up next to the bonfire under the Berber tent
- daily house keeping, pool towels, use of the amenities (swimming pool, tennis court, billiard room, steam room, gym)
- high speed wifi-internet (ridiculously fast, available everywhere on the property)
- airport transfers (when arriving with the group)
- 4 hours a day of yoga & meditation classes, Yoga mats & props provided
- road cycles provided, van support for cyclists, daily routes bespoke to the group abilities
- more challenging bicycle routes for those that want to go out on their own
- purpose-built gym and yoga studio available for your use at anytime
- guided hike into the Atlas Mountains, visit to Berber Village for lunch
- all transfers to and from hikes, rides, cultural visits, etc.
- a few extras we have planned which will be sure to delight
Price does not include:
- Taxi if you don’t arrive with the group
- Spa treatments, all available on-site
- Hammam £35
- Table Massage £40,
- transport (4×4 with driver about 100€ per day) for exploring the medina of Marrakesh or the nearby villages.
Click here for recent reviews and comments about past Yoga retreats I have hosted at Azaren.
Please send £400 non-refundable and non-transferable deposit to reserve your place and your room preference. The balance will then be due by the 14th of February 2018 via bank transfer. Email email@example.com to receive details ask questions or anything else you might need.
Highly recommend that you invest in travel insurance for your trip to ensure peace of mind.
Look forward to another wonderful Holiday at Azaren.
Beaming you all blessing, laughter and future Yogic adventures!