In this series, we will be using the five basic Elements of nature; Earth, Water, Fire, Wind and Space, to understand and discover more of our inner and outer ecosystem. Yogis understood and utilised the laws of Nature to attain greater health, power, knowledge, wisdom and sustained contentment in themselves by using practices effectively to heal, inspire and transform – cultivating equanimity in the Body-Mind connection.So to briefly describe these elements within:
- Earth – Solid – form, structure, physical integrity, bones, muscles & tissues.
- Water – Liquid – fluidity that sustains life, nourishes and moves our joints, blood and fluid flow that circulates within
- Fire – Heat – temperature, metabolism, energetic drive and confidence to fulfil purpose
- Wind – Gas – direction of movement of the breath, Prana and channels of communication within, that carry the creative expression of life
- Space – Intergalactic Material that suspends or contains it all, we feel space which provides a platform for all the other elements within ourselves – Sense this in our mouth, hollow organs and bone, but the space between the breath, cells, atoms, even the space between our thoughts
Yoga uses Prana – Vital energy to sustain balance with the elements and to effectively heal ourselves.Yogis used the heat of Prana to inspire a balance, transform imbalances and create a natural harmony amongst all the others elements.
- Ice + fire = water & gas
- Wood + fire = ash & smoke
In our practice we will focus on an Element drawing on its characteristics, corresponding Chakra, Mantra, Hasta Mudra and sense organ associated with the Element. In hopes you too will find a harmony and equanimity in body, energy and mind.